Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A synopsis of my bad blood

Life has been turned upside for the past 6 weeks, so in the interest of keeping everyone I care about updated (since I'm not always so great at returning calls/texts/emails), I decided to start this blog. I hope over time it becomes less about me being sick and more about truly important things like Real Housewives of New Jersey or the new pretzel flavor M&M's, but for now unfortunately my aplastic anemia is what's up. Here goes:

For the first month or so after running the Boston marathon I had been getting really weird bruises, nosebleeds, and some extra fatigue, so I went to the doctor on 5/25/10 to have blood work done. They took some blood, sent me home, then called me back an hour later and said I needed to go to the ER immediately because my blood counts were so low I could bleed out from a cut or fall. For the first 24 hours I was in the hospital they tossed around some scary words like leukemia, but after a few days and a bone marrow biopsy they thankfully ruled that out. I stayed inpatient for three days and got blood and platelet tranfusions and they let me go home over the weekend if I promised to wear a mask and wash my hands often--my white counts were low so that I was (and still am) extra susceptible to infections.

Over the next 4ish weeks, I was in the hematology clinic 2-3 times a week having blood and platelet transfusions while they monitored my numbers and hoped things would get better on their own, but......no dice. After excluding a host of viruses, they officially diagnosed me with aplastic anemia which means that my marrow isn't producing enough red cells, white cells, or platelets anymore. Bummer, since I was really hoping I would bounce back and just be some sort of medical mystery. Most cases of aplastic anemia are idiopathic so it's likely I'll never really know what caused it. I have some conspiracy theories, but one guess is as good as any other so I'm going to settle on just bad luck.

When they found out my brother and sister weren't bone marrow matches they suggested I go into the hospital for a week to have a chemotherapy treatment called ATG and cyclosporine. ATG is serum from a rabbit that kills the T cells that are attacking my marrow. I went in to the hospital on 6/25 and got that through IV for 6 hours a day for 5 days. Cyclosporine is a pill that supresses the T cells as they grow back so that my marrow has time to regenerate. I will likely stay on this pill for a number of months.

The hospital stay went about as well as can be expected, thanks to the fantastic team of nurses at Beth Israel. I had some nasty days, chills, fevers, nausea, hives, and one bad headache scare that resulted in a 4:00 AM catscan (luckily nothing was wrong, just high blood pressure from some of my pills) but I got out on 7/1 and knock on wood have felt pretty good ever since. I'm on a host of meds, mostly antibiotics because my white count is so low, and the prednisone is making me a little bloated/grumpy (or maybe that's just all the 'get well soon' junk food I've been eating) but overall I've been doing quite well.

I'll be back in the outpatient clinic 2-3 times per week getting blood and platelet transfusions while the ATG and cyclosporine are doing their job (fingers crossed!). It can take anywhere from 1-6 months to start seeing an improvement in counts, so I'm hoping to be on the earlier side. I do love seeing my very cute doctor twice a week, but spacing it out even more wouldn't be the worst thing.

I can't thank people enough for all their support. This has been a difficult time to say the least but hopefully something to look back and groan about soon. I'll try to update this regularly!

For more info, check this out:
http://www.aamds.org/aplastic/disease_information/aplastic_anemia/index.php

Become a bone marrow donor...it's easy!
http://www.marrow.org/

15 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you *love* seeing your /very/ cute doctor.

    -Chevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quick Q:
    Do you need all of my bones?
    If so, consider them yours.

    I love you so much :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're rooting for you Ms. Kilian. You'll be doing the marathon thing again before you know it. (The Letter A's big sis.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks dude for writing it all down in an amazingly cohesive narrative.
    I can't wait until I'm healthy enough to not breathe infections on you and give you a massive lambda hug!

    I luuuuh you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job. I love you, my brave girl. Tell Kevin that you can't help having a soft spot for handsome men with superior intellects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meaghan! Proud of you for keeping the positive 'tude. Everyone at DG misses you... the Rural Jurors are getting together next week for the first time in a while -- maybe you can participate via text? Fingers crossed for a reality TV show question.

    Sending lots and lots of warm wishes your way...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're the best and I miss you terribly!! Can't wait to eat more ice cream and watch more Real Housewives with you :-)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was fun reading this, even if it wasn't fun living it :) You're such a solid citizen. I hope the rabbits start doing their job soon.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this Meaghan! Your humor in it all cracks me up. Hang in there and we are here for you always. Love you tons. Rebekah and Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea it was to blog. Just a little while ago Mom and I were thinking of you.....wondering how you were doing. This is a wonderful way of keeping everyone informed. We are looking forward to lots of good news in the coming weeks. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hello my luh. so glad you started this! sending you lots of love and good mojo. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Meaghan , if you remember me I'm your friend Bassam Al Qaysi , me and my wife is so worry about you and we follow with your mother about you ... and sure anything we can do for you please just let me know I would love to

    Bassam

    ReplyDelete
  13. Meaghan,

    We read your blog together and agreed that you are amazing, with an exceptional attitude, and that you have put everying in perspective for us. Heather, who is now a nurse, says patients like you are the reason she loves her job. Given your sense of humor and hope, how dare we complain about day-to-day annoyances??? Personally, though, I'm not surprised. You've always had a strength of character that makes you a blessing to those around you. Please know that, since receiving news of your illness, I've been praying for you daily, especially for a bone marrow donor. Also, today on the beach I spoke to Ginger Kenny, whose now-28-year-old daughter contracted lymphoma as a child. Told Ginger about you, and she said you have much reason for hope: her daughter remains in remission and hasn't had a bone marrow transplant in 16 years.

    Please continue to blog, and by all means let us know if there is anything we may do for you. Every day between now and the day we receive the, "Hey, I made it!" blog we're rooting for you. You are the best!

    Love,
    John, Pat, Keith, Heather, and Hailey
    (We're in Bristol - will let Ken know when we return to N. Andover.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Meaghan,
    I have a Buddhist thought for you. (read & repeat 3X or more)

    Breathing in, I am mindful that my heart is working night and day for me.
    Breathing out, I smile to my heart. My heart, I am here for you.

    I think of you every day--Love, Helen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh silly T cells! Hope you're doing better and can't wait to hear more updates.
    love you xoxoxoxo
    Winnie

    ReplyDelete