Sunday, May 29, 2011

Bloodaversary

Happy Memorial Day, everyone!

I have been a lazy blogger lately but my blood has been on my mind a lot this week since it was the last week of May 2010 that this mess all started. I am happy to report that a year later, my condition is much more stable and I have a lot to be hopeful about.

When I went into the hospital on May 25th, 2010, my numbers were:

White: 2.0 (ANC 500)
Hematocrit: 15
Platelets: 9

At my appointment on May 27, 2011, my numbers were:

White: 3.1 (ANC 2100)
Hematocrit: 35.1
Platelets: 91

All of my stats have been basically stable or climbing as I continue to go down on the dosage of my medicine, and still plan to be off completely by the end of the year. Last Memorial Day weekend, I spent Friday, Saturday, and Sunday in the outpatient clinic of the Hematology unit at Beth Israel after 3 days of inpatient treatment. This Memorial Day weekend, I spent Friday signing a lease for an apartment with Kevin, Saturday at a BBQ with friends, family and my unreasonably adorable nephew, and Sunday on a 40 mile bike ride with Kevin. Last summer Dr. Joyce told me "your white cells are crap, your red cells are crap, you're a bruised mess, but next summer won't be like this." I'm so relieved that at this point it looks like she was right!


I feel incredibly lucky to be where I am today and to have the support of so many friends and family over the past year. I spent some time recently going through all of the cards, emails, facebook messages, etc. that I have received since first getting sick, and it was really moving to be reminded of all the wonderful people in my life.

That is about as flowery and sentimental as I feel like getting about my blood right now, but thank you to everyone who has helped make this year such a great one despite unfortunate circumstances. I'm looking forward to a fun, active summer with minimal days spent in doctors offices, and hopefully not much time for blogging :)

3 comments:

  1. love you! i'm so proud of you AND your (now not) bad blood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meg, spoke to mom this am and we were saying how good you were doing Im so happy for you ,I knew you of all people could do this!!Keep up good work happy for you and Kevin hope to see you soon!!! Getting to see Kain tomorrow over your moms can,t wait have a great weekend!! Love Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Megan, I don't know you personally but I found you during a research for AA. I am AA patient too. I am glad that you are fine. I hope I can be as strong as you. Keep going..

    ReplyDelete