Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Quick Update

Knock on wood, but my blood seems to be heading on the right track! My transfusions have spaced out so I'm needing platelets about every 4 to 6 days and blood every 10-12. I got a Neulasta shot 10 days ago to raise my white count, and the results of that were very encouraging. The first dose I got post treatment raised my white count from .1 to .2, the second dose two weeks later raised it from .6 to 1.1, but this latest dose raised it from .8 to 7.6! That meant a very uncomfortable day of achey bones, but it also means that there must be marrow growing for the white cells to build on. It has tapered back down to 2.5 since last week which is normal. Hopefully it will start building on its own (along with my red cells and platelets) without too many more shots.

I'm still having some set backs like an iron build up in my blood, so I'll need to start new meds for that, but my doctors are hopeful that I'm on track to be transfusion independent by October-ish. We'll see!

3 comments:

  1. Not a single mention of your voyage to the great white north, my home and native land?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And Kevin and I went to Canada and it was wonderful and Canadian and his mom bought me delicious candy bars. And we went tubing and Kevin sucks at tubing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ಠ_ಠ
    I like your new update better please.

    ReplyDelete